As with all the other days which hold virtue and significance in Islam, Aashoorah too is a virtuous day regarding which there are many misconceptions and misunderstandings. It is thus necessary for us to clarify and understand what has been established and proven regarding this day and what hasn't. Below in point form, besides a few additions, is a summary of the writings and teachings of my beloved Shaikh Aarif billah Hazrate aqdas Maulana Shah Fazlur Rahman Azmi DB in this regard.
- Muharram is one of the four sacred months, thus a general increase in ibaadat is encouraged, but even more importantly, an extra effort should be made to stay away from all sins.
The only reason for the significance of Aashoorah is that on this day Allah granted Hazrat Musa AS and the Bani Israel salvation from Firaun. There is no proof for any other historical incident (related to the other Ambiya AS) to have happened on this day.
- It is mustahab to fast on the 9th and 10th, or the 10th and 11th, or the 9th, 10th and 11th.
- It is makrooh e tanzeehi and reprehensible to fast only on the 10th.
- It is haraam to look down upon anyone who doesn't fast on Aashoorah. Mustahab means we have a choice of not to fast.
- The incident of the shahadat of Hazrat Husein Ra which happened on this day, has absolutely no connection whatsoever to the significance of Aashoorah.
- Our great Akabireen have specified that it isn't even permissible to mention or talk about the shahadat of Hazrat Husein Ra in the month of Muharram or the day of Aashoorah, because this is imitation of the shias.
- It is permissible for the head of the family to spend more on his family on this day in terms of food, and the virtue for this is that sustenance will be made easy for him for the entire year.
- This absolutely does not mean that Aashoorah should be a day of exchanging gifts. Do not make it a commercial holiday like Christmas.
- It is not permissible to cook any specific dish on this day (like kheeraj) and send it to others, nor is it permissible to send any food item to other people in commemoration of this day (as is generally done by the people of innovation.)
- There is no specific, special ibaadat for the day or night of Aashoorah.
- The incident of karbala that is normally narrated, and is common among the Sunnis as well is a lie fabricated by the shias, who themselves were the killers of Hazrat Husein Ra. The actual story of what really happened is very different.
- It is not proven that Qiyamat will occur of the day of Aashoorah.
- Any virtue of any act that has not been mentioned above is a fabrication.